YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY THIS! It's rare that I try a recipe and am blogging about it five minutes later, but it just happened. I am so happy.
I've been trying to step up our "nutritional game" lately. Especially with the kids. Granted this recipe does have butter and sugar, but not tons, and for a snack food that kids will love, at least you know what's in it, and it doesn't have anything artificial. (And incidentally, lest you errantly think I've become some Martha Stewart with my all-natural stuff, I should confess that my kitchen is trashed and it's noon, and I'm still in pajamas. :))
Eric and I made this this morning, and I'm hoping there'll be some left by the time Matt comes home! I mixed with Craisins. So yummy!
Fruit Granola
from The Enlightened Homemaker Blog
1/2 cup butter (I used the real deal, and it enhanced the flavor)
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup jelly (I used homemade low-sugar strawberry jam that wasn't very chunky)
4 1/2 cup rolled oats (I used old fashioned oats, and I wouldn't use quick ... I think you'd really lose something in the texture.)
Melt butter , sugar and jelly in saucepan until sugar is broken down and all melted. Toss with oats . I also like to add shredded unsweetened coconut and slivered almonds . You could also toss in other grains. Spread on 15X10 jellyroll pan sprayed with pam. Cook at 325 about 25-35 min or until slightly golden brown. [I overcooked a little bit on accident, and it still tasted great!] Let cool then break up and store in container. It should be crunchy. You can add dried fruit at this point. I like to use a jelly that is either low in sugar or sugar free. You could also cut it into granola bar squares when it is still warm if you want.
YUM! I think it will be making this soon... I wonder what it would taste like if you used Apple Butter instead of jam. I think I'll be figuring it out really soon. Thanks, Julie for sharing!
ReplyDelete