Thursday, October 21, 2010

Creamy Potato Soup

It has been cold and rainy here for the past week or so...perfect soup weather! I remember last year October was so hot and I was so wishing it would feel more fall-ish so I could pull out my sweaters and make soup. This year my dreams have come true, and it's been great except for the lack of any weather-appropriate clothing that fits (and I'm not about to go buy any...I'm due today!).

Anyway, I found this soup recipe online somewhere and gave it a whirl. Loved that I could make it in the crockpot and we all thought it was really tasty. We garnished with a bit of cheese but it really didn't need it...it was plenty flavorful on its own.

Ingredients

  • 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 5 large potatoes, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk

Directions

  1. Place bacon and onion in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until bacon is evenly brown and onions are soft. Drain off excess grease.
  2. Transfer the bacon and onion to a slow cooker, and stir in chicken broth, water, potatoes, salt, dill weed, and white pepper. Cover, and cook on Low 6 to 7 hours, stirring occasionally.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and half-and-half. Stir into the soup along with the evaporated milk. Cover, and cook another 30 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good...of course, anything cooked with onions and a bit of bacon grease is a winner in my book. And I love a good crockpot soup!! I'm glad you posted and can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think of it, would you add the "crockpot" label? The more in that category, the better.

    ReplyDelete