Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pizza Rolls

This is one of my go-to recipes when I have to take dinner to someone or when I want a freezer meal on hand. The boys all love this recipe and it's so easy to reheat for dinner or a quick snack. The recipe looks long, I know, but it's because I included directions for freezing the rolls, for making cinnamon rolls, as well as the pizza rolls (which I make a whole lot more than any of the other kinds). Call me with any questions!

Pam’s Pizza Rolls

Note: This recipe is the half recipe. This will fit in the kitchen aid. You can double it for a bosch (use the same times). This recipe is wonderful for dinner rolls or for cinnamon rolls.

1/2 cup butter/margarine
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water (hot)
2 eggs
5 1/2 cups flour
2 Tbsp yeast
2 tsp salt

Combine margarine, milk, sugar, and water. Heat in microwave until warm, about 4 minutes. Using a mixer with bread hooks, start mixing. Add eggs and half of the flour. Mix well. Add yeast and salt; continue mixing. Add remaining flour. When mixed in, turn to high speed and let knead for 11 minutes. When finished mixing, remove hook and let sit for 10 minutes (I usually prepare my pizza roll ingredients now … the recipe doesn’t call for this 10 minute rise, but I find that the dough is so much lighter if I do this.) Divide dough into four balls. Roll first ball into a wide circle the size of a pizza.

[Insert pizza roll directions here.] Brush dough with egg wash (two eggs, lightly beaten) and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Cut into wedges with a pizza cutter. Sprinkle with cheese (towards the wider end of the triangle). Put on pepperoni slices and chopped mushrooms and roll up (taking care to tuck in all of the ingredients). Let rise 15 minutes then brush with egg on each top and bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Serve with warm marinara sauce.

Regular roll/cinnamon roll directions:
Using a pizza cutter, cut circle into ten wedges. Roll from wide end. First fold in wide corners so they meet. Roll up like a croissant. Place on a greased baking pan. (Can freeze individual rolls at this point on a cookie sheet and then stored in Ziploc bag… to thaw, place on cookie sheet and let rise until soft and puffy (this usually takes an hour or two) … bake as usual.) Let rise about 15 minutes, until puffy. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Rub top of rolls with butter.

Cinnamon roll directions:
After mixing, roll dough into a large rectangle. Spread dough with 2 squares of softened butter (I don’t think I dare use this much) and top with either sugar and cinnamon or brown sugar and coconut. Cut with string about 1 inch thick. Makes 40 servings. Cinnamon rolls – 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment