Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Big" Salad

I just emailed this to Shauna and thought I may as well post it so as to preserve the goodness. I made this for the luau party I threw two weeks ago, and by far, it was the biggest crowd pleaser. So scrumptious! I hadn't made it for awhile, kind of forgot about it, and have been back on the bandwagon lately.

Lettuce
Mozzarella Cheese
Parmesan Cheese (fresh, not the kraft green kind)
Bacon (cooked and crumbled)
Craisins
Apples (cut into chunks)
Sugar coated slivered almonds (you can buy these already made in the salad section or make them yourself by putting slivered almonds in a frying pan on about medium. Once the oil from them starts to get out, add sugar to them and turn it to low (important to turn it to low or the sugar will just crystallize and not stick to the nuts), keep stuirring until it seems like it sticks. Then cool them on wax paper and spread them thin so they don’t all stick together.)

Dressing: (This is the full recipe which is good for a large group; make a half batch if you’re making it for your family)

½ cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp dry mustard
1 cup sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
¼ cup red onion (go easy on this as a little goes a long way)
Mix in blender and then add 1 cup oil (use vegetable or canola). Blend till it’s all integrated.

This salad does not keep well at all, so mix it all together once you are ready to serve it. I usually have everything pre-done and then just put it together right before serving and keep extras in the fridge without dressing on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment